Children with SEND in Mainstream Schools
Information sharing sessions for parents and carers
Monday 21st March, 1.00 – 2.30 p.m.
Chestnuts Community Centre
Monday 21st March, 6.30-8.00 p.m.
Haringey SEND Parent Carer Forum and SENDIASS are holding information sharing sessions for parents of children with SEND in mainstream schools
Come along and find out about new guidance for mainstream schools regarding meeting the needs of children with SEND, as well as learning about schools’ duties and parents’ rights.
The daytime and evening sessions will cover the same topics – you only need to book on to one of the sessions.
Ellika McAuley, SEND Adviser from Haringey Council will talk about the new guidance for schools:
- SEND Core Standards – an online resource which sets out the expectations for the quality of provision for children with SEND in Mainstream schools
- SEND Support Guide – a document for class teachers and SENDCos to use as a quick reference for identifying and effectively meeting the needs of children and young people who are receiving SEND support.
Sarah Miller and Harriet Lewis from SENDIASS will talk about parents’ and children’s rights in relation to mainstream education
- The requirements of mainstream schools to provide SEN Support to children without an EHC Plan - what the SEND Code of Practice says
- the graduated approach, and the ‘assess, plan, do, review’ cycle, and how parents can engage in this
- the specifics of the law around parents’ right to choose mainstream education, and the (limited) exceptions to this right
- what steps parents can take if the legal obligations described above are not being met
All parents / carers who attend will receive a voucher as a thank you
Any questions – contact us: Haringey SEND Parent Carer Forum